Thursday, August 14, 2008

Remodeling: Sludge hammer and staples

CAUTION THERE WILL BE BLOOD. IF YOU ARE SQUEAMISH TURN A WAY NOW


I am 23 years old and have never had stitches. I have watches my dare devil friends and nephews try stunts only to end up with a doctor sewing them up but never me. Well my friends that day has past in my life. I am proud to report that I received an injury worthy of stitches while….and this is my favorite part….. remodeling the house. For those who don’t know this about me….and it is my goal that the world does know…I have a passion for Interior Design…more on that to come.

Ok so I was not actually stitched but I am the proud owners of two…count them two staples in the crown of my head.

My brother and I were taking turns with a small sludge hammer…sludge hammer none the less, hitting away at a hardwood built it cabinet. The head of the hammer flew off and hit me on the top of the thinker; I hit the wall with my fist, angry at myself for letting the hammerhead come off, as if I had a choice in the matter. Just then my dad who was watching me hit the shelf stopped me from injuring my self further. He lowered me to my knees and called out for paper towels, in a doctoral “scalpel” sort of way.

They sat me down. My mom got a loving bag of frozen peas to place atop my cranium and Melissa took me over to the hospital. After a look from the doctor he told me they could just put a few staples in and call it good. I was worried they would need to shave my head but to no avail. He gave me the option to have the pain of the shot to dumb before the staples or to just shoot the staples. He said the pain factor is about the same but the numbing can be bothersome. I don’t like shots so I put my self under hypnosis (using what I learned from Melissa’s “hypnobirthing” classes.) Honestly I felt it all but it was not really that bad. I nearly said “come on doc gim’me another, just for good measure”

Well I am happy to report that scalp and scalp owner are doing vary well. I get a slight head ache now and again. However other than the image of accidentally combing the staples out I am in no pain.
ahhhh I am blissfully hypnotized. I was picturing myself on the banks of the Snake River in Idaho, where I spent many a Scout Camp.

6 comments:

Suzy said...

Ouch!

joseph and brianna said...

Well I beat you I had stitches in 7th grade... I cut my finger on a can lid.... I had like 7 i think. Welcome to the stitches/staples club:)

Anonymous said...

wow! I am glad you are ok! I can't believe how light your hair is!

Benji Pearson said...

It must have hurt when you got hit in the head!... ;)
I know it hurt when I got hit by a car just as Janeal made reference too! But at 10 years old I found it fascinating to watch them sew up my leg!

Benji Pearson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tropicanna said...

I'm finally catching up on everyone's blogs... Wow! Glad it was only two staples! Super glad your head is OK.